Good evening friends.
Sometime ago I bought a packet of Sorghum (durra in Swedish) flour without really knowing the outstanding health benefits that comes along with this wonder grain. Since I´ve made both crackers (that still needs a bit of experimenting before publishing the recipe here) and these Easy Gluten Free Rolls.
These great Gluten Free rolls with sorghum (durra) flour are easy and relatively quick to make. They are both tasty, fluffy and filling.
Short about Sorghum.
Sorghum (bicolor) originates from the African savanna. Through cultivation Sorghum has spread throughout the rest of Africa, India, Australia and Central and South America. Sorghum is a 100 percent whole grain kernel that is ground into a fine flour that can be used in various ways for cooking and baking. It has an impressive nutritional profile, a good alternative to normal white flour in baking.
Sorghum has high levels of protein, fiber, unsaturated fats and minerals and is said to improve digestive health .
What I like about this recipe, is that it almost feels like ordinary whole-wheat rolls Fluffy but yet filling 🙂 They are perfect topped with this Blazing Beetroot hummus.
Remember when you make them that the dough is supposed to be really sticky. Using some rapeseed oil on your hands when forming the rolls is a great help.
This recipe gives you 12 rolls
- ½ deciliter chia seeds
- 1,5 deciliter boiling water
- 4 deciliter Sorghum (durra) flour
- 1 deciliter Buckwheat flour
- 1 deciliter Rice flour
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk
- 3 tablespoons linseed
- 3 tablespoons Pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 gram yeast
- 4 deciliter lukewarm water
- ½ deciliter rapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Turn on the oven 190°C
- Pour boiling water over the chia seeds and let them cool for about 10 min
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a big bowl
- In another bowl: Crumble the yeast and mix with the lukewarm water, the oil and the honey.
- mix the wet ingredients with the dry and the chiaseeds. You get the best results if you use an electric mixer for a few minutes.
- Let the dough rest under a clean dishtowel for about 15 min
- Pour the dough onto the kitchen table. Use a bit of sorghum or buckwheat flour on the table.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal size parts and form the rolls.
- Place the rolls on a baking tray with baking paper and leave them to rise under a clean kitchentowel for about 30 minutes
- Bake in the oven for about 20 min or until they are golden.
Voila freshly baked Gluten Free Rolls ready to eat 🙂
This post contains affiliate links